It’s not hard to BE married. It just takes a marriage license. The real skill and accomplishment is to be HAPPILY married! You have embarked on the most important journey of your life. Take it seriously now and you will find yourself waking up in the arms of this same person until the day you pass from this earth.
Here’s a list of common things to remember, but they are easily forgotten. Maybe you should print it out and work on one specific item each week – forever!
- Keep romance alive in your marriage.
- Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff – it’s almost always small stuff!
- Be patient.
- Have fun together.
- Keep your sense of humor.
- Be responsive to one another.
- Don’t give advise unless asked for it. You are now each other’s sounding board!
- Discuss family allegiances. Learn about one another’s childhood and family history.
- Don’t try to please your in-laws all the time. Set boundaries early.
- Make time for one another.
- Share expectations on a regular basis.
- Be realistic.
- Talk about your goals.
- Communicate your thoughts about the roles of a husband and a wife. Negotiate household chores.
- Be respectful of one another. Don’t put your spouse down.
- Do NOT try to change each other.
- Discuss the myths of marriage.
- Appreciate and understand your differences.
- When you want something, say so.
- Don’t expect your spouse to read your mind.
- When necessary, forgive one another.
- Saying SORRY 🙁 goes a long way!
Best wishes for a long and fulfilling life together!