Keeping Marital Bliss takes work – and an important part is sharing your closet – YIKES!
- You need to set up some rules and boundaries right from the start. Talk about your expectations. BE RESPECTFUL!
- Go 50/50 to start and see how it works. No matter who has more “stuff” divide things right down the middle, it is only fair. For extra space you could buy plastic storage cases, under the bed storage, a footlocker, a chest or a dresser.
- ALWAYS be considerate. Keep your stuff on your side – it’s the right thing to do. Everyone needs their space. Being considerate of each other’s closet space will help keep other areas of your life running smoothly.
- Invest in shoe racks and hangers to keep your hats, purses, belts and other accessories organized. Utilize every available wall space to add hangers or tacks for additional storage options.
- Keep the closet clean – TOGETHER! Pick a time on some type of regular schedule to go through the closet together. While doing so remember to label so that you can find things easily in the future.
- Put away seasonal items. Using the vacuum space bags are an excellent choice. You can put a LOT of items in them and they take up much less space. Plus they keep your clothes clean and moth free.
- Keep any type of coat, jacket, sweater or sweatshirt worn as a jacket in coat closet or extra closet in a spare room.
- Use two different color hangers to easily tell whose clothes are whose.
- Go through your clothes regularly and give away items you have not worn for over a year IF the items are not seasonal.
- Buy specialty hangers for expanded pant storage.
- Buy a tie rack.
- NEVER go through your partners things! EVER!
- NEVER throw anything away that isn’t yours! NEVER EVER EVER!
If you use these simple and effective tips you will both be happy allowing you to focus on more important things – like – each other!